Moving Home - Consider a lock change?
12th September 2013 - 0 Comments
Moving Home - Consider a lock change?
Protect your family and belongings by changing the locks when you move home. 58% of people give away spare sets of keys to builders, cleaners, friends etc. and they don't always get them back before they move - you can't be certain who else has a set.
Change Keys Best deals - Reliable Locksmiths
The national sites will charge you a small fortune using national locksmith companies to change locks in your new home. These charges will include vat and a commision charge charged by the company switching your services.
Affordable Locksmith is an established local Locksmith that offer:
- No call out fee!
- Fixed labour charge inclusive of parts, labour and time
- Up-front costs - no hidden charges
- Vat free
Do You Really Need To Change Keys?
Many people do not ask for their spare keys back after they leave them with friends, family, cleaners etc. Don't leave your home at risk - change locks and change keys at your new home so only the people you trust have a set of keys. The home office and neighbourhood watch both recommend changing your outside locks to reduce the likelihood of burglary.
To change locks in your new home is the easiest and most cost-effective way to have peace of mind that your new home is secure. Affordable locksmiths will also prepare a home security survey for you and will make any security recommendations whilst they are at your home.
Arrange a locksmith lock change appointment 0141 280 2807 and ask for Steve.
Moving Home? - More Security Tips
Moving home creates opportunities for criminals - empty homes, pre-packed items and open doors are all adverts for crime. When you move home, follow some simple steps to protect yourself and others from burglary.
- Keep packing boxes out of sight - don't alert strangers to the fact you're moving home.
- Think about leaving small valuable items, like jewellery, at the bank.
- If you're selling, get keys back from friends family and cleaners etc to give to people moving into your home.
- Don't leave empty boxes for new expensive items like TVs outside on view -it's an advert for what is inside your home.
Changing locks is easily overlooked when moving house, but it is frightening to think how many people could have duplicate keys to your new home.
Why Change The Locks?
Moving house is a highly stressful experience so it is no surprise that securing your new home by changing the locks can be overlooked. However, unless you knew and trusted the previous tenants it is unlikely that you will know exactly how many sets of keys were cut and are in circulation for your new property.
Who Else Has Spare Keys?
Around 37,500 homes will change hands this year with many buyers unaware that at least one spare set of keys is still in circulation with a third party.
By not changing the locks and ensuring that all points of access around the house are secure, you could be putting yourself and your family in unnecessary danger. Furthermore, if you were to be broken into and possessions damaged or stolen your insurance claim may be void, as some insurance companies will state that if you have not changed the locks on moving house then you have not done enough to secure your property and prevent a burglary.
By following a simple procedure such as changing the locks you can guarantee that you are in control of who has access to each and every set of keys.
Other Reasons to Change the Locks
Other reasons to change the locks may include:
- Could you exit through all necessary doors and windows in an emergency?
- Does your property have adequate physical security?
- Do you have keys to all your doors and windows, for general access and opening?
- Are some of the locks broken or are any of the locks damaged – do they still work and are they secure?
- Do your locks meet British Standard 3621:2007, now a stipulation of most insurance policies?
A.L.S. Locksmiths Glasgow Lock Change Service
Timpson Locksmiths can change locks on doors and windows, including garage doors, external doors and gates, etc. Our Locksmiths can also check that existing window locks and door locks have been correctly installed, are secure and conform to British Standards.
A.L.S. Locksmiths Glasgow can arrange a visit at a time and date that is convenient to you.
- Locksmith Services